Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thursdays are ok

Today while I was at work, I needed to take a break from looking at my computer screen because my eyes were killing me. I looked out the window in my office and stared at one of the two 10 story cranes that is being used to build the new life sciences building. It gave me an idea for a poem. Here it is. 


The Crane


There's a crane outside my window
and he's calling my name
He's hovering up in the sky

He tells me to join him
"The weathers just fine
and the view is wonderfully divine!"

I politely refuse and he looks confused
and replies with a sad "Well...Why?"
I look up to him and point to my arms
and tell him "I just can't fly."

"Can't fly?" he yelled from up in the sky
"Have you ever just once even tried?"
"Yeah I did back when I was a kid,
but its been a really long time."

"Now is the time to try again
I just know you'll be able to fly."
"OK I will give it a shot,
I guess there's no reason to be shy."

I step to the edge of the window pane
and my breathing flows in with gasps
I close my eyes and reach out my hands
and leap out as far as I can

It doesn't take long to know this is wrong
cause gravity is pulling me down
I hit the ground with such great force
that I can't even let out a sound

My femur is broken into 3 pieces 
and I'm not sure the shape of my spine
As air flows back into my sad lungs
I scream as I look to the sky

"I guess this proves that I can't fly!"
I lay my face down in the grass
"At least you did your best and tried,
now lets get you off of your leg."










No comments:

Post a Comment